"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

Thursday, November 25, 2010

on friendship



Less than 6 months ago, i get to meet them for the very first time. New school, new interactions, another form of socialization – and i thought i was done with it. It was quite awkward at first because believe it or not, I don’t socialize that well. It was only when I’m in my comfort zone when I get to show who I really am – my funny antics and very, very, VERY boisterous laughter. Then i met them. One by one, i get to be close to them. For some, they call me “kuya”, but for others, we get by through first name basis. It started with lunch – we all became lunch buddies and from there, through small talks and chitchats, our friendship developed. It’s funny how you realize that you already are a friend to them and so they are to you. Friendship works in a funny way for it’s never intentional. If it was a laboratory experiment, I would’ve shouted “eureka” by now. But of course, just like in every experiment, there’s always a trial and error phase. Though the development of friendship is unintentional, you still get the freedom to choose (in the long run) whether to befriend a person or not. Amazingly, I didn’t have to endure that phase. Describing it in a cliché statement, “we just clicked”.

These are my future colleagues. In 5 years time, we will be doctors. And what better way to start Medicine if not for friends who are there who bullies, rants and makes fun of you yet, at the end of the day, you understand that it’s all just for the heck of it.

No comments: